JBL Nitrite Test NO2
JBL Nitrite Test NO₂
Quick test to determine the nitrite content in freshwater/marine water aquariums and in ponds
- Simple and reliable monitoring of the aquarium/pond water values. Checks the biological balance (bacterial activity) in freshwater and marine water
- Laboratory comparator system to compensate any inherent water colouring: fill glass vials with sample water, add reagents to another vial, place vials in holder, read values on colour chart
- When to use: when setting up a new freshwater aquarium: daily for 3 weeks. Initial setup with marine water: once a week. For use in case of fish diseases or fish deaths.
- Online Laboratory: free analysis and recommendations for the water values you have measured
- Package contents: 1 quick test, Nitrite Test NO2. Contents for approx. 50 measurements. Incl. 2 reagents, 2 glass vials with screw cap, syringe, comparator block and colour scale. Refill ingredients available separately
Healthy aquarium/healthy pond with conditions close to nature
The right water values are dependent on the fish stock and the plants in the aquarium/pond. Even if the water looks clear it can be contaminated. With bad values diseases or algae can appear in the aquarium/pond. To maintain a healthy aquarium/pond with conditions close to nature it is important to check and adapt the water values regularly.
For each water analysis JBL provides water tests in the form of quick tests or colour change tests. These determine a certain value or several values in one go. With these water tests you can recognise algae problems and negative nitrate, nitrite, potassium, magnesium values etc.
Nitrite results during the degradation by bacteria of protein and ammonium. It is normally processed further into non-toxic nitrate. In aquarium and pond water nitrite (NO2) should not be measurable. If nitrate is measurable, it is a sign that the bacterial degradation process has been disturbed, and from a concentration of 0.4 mg/l it is dangerous or even fatal for fish, because nitrite blocks the transport of oxygen in the blood. This can be remedied by water changes and good bacteria starters, such as JBL Denitrol and JBL BactoPond.
Recommended nitrite values:
Freshwater aquariums (community aquariums): 0-0.2 mg/l
Lake Malawi/Lake Tanganyika aquarium: 0-0.2 mg/l
Plant aquarium with few fish (aquascaping): 0-0.2 mg/l
Marine aquarium: 0-0.2 mg/l
Pond: 0-0.2 mg/l.
You can analyse the water values you have measured in the JBL Online Laboratory free of charge and receive recommendations.